Thursday, May 6, 2010
Free Choice: Hanami
A few weeks ago, I visited Himeji Castle before it closed for renovation. Since the last day it was open for the spring was a warm and sunny day, the castle and grounds were packed with Japanese and foreigners alike. While a large portion of people explored the castle, many simply sat in the open courtyard and enjoyed the flower festival, or hanami.
Construction of Himeji Castle started in 1333 by Norimura Akamatsu. In 1581, Hideyoshi Toyotomi built a three-storied castle. Then in 1601, Terumasa Ikeda rebuilt the castle as five stories. The castle remained relatively untouched for 400 years, and then in 1999, it was registered on UNESCO's World Heritage list (Himeji Castle).
Exploring the castle, I learned about its history, structural aspects, as well as cultural tidbits about Japan. It was not until I reached the top and looked out upon the courtyard that I was able to comprehend the popularity of hanami. Seeing the mass of people sitting on tarps or blankets made me realize what a cultural tradition the flower viewing festival is.
During hanami, family and friends meet and spend time under the flowers. They drink, eat, and share stories while enjoying and respecting nature. These outings usually last a couple of hours. Since hanami is a celebration of nature and flowers, it occurs during March and April, when most flowers are blossoming.
As American is a melting pot of different cultures, hanami has reached even America’s shores as well. For example, places in the US that participate in hanami are Washington DC and New York. A few years ago, I went with a group of friends to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden for hanami. There were not as many people as when I went to Himeji Castle, but there was a mixture of different ages and ethnicities. Perhaps part of the lack of popularity in the US has to do with the fast paced life of many Westerners. Another reason could be that since Japan has many old traditions, compared to America’s short history, the Japanese are more likely to connect with their past and appreciate their connection with nature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Hanami is a great topic for a visual anthro post; many of your classmates posted on this as well. I really like the last photo - it captures so much!
ReplyDelete